RESIDENTIAL CAMP COUNSELOR
The Greater Burlington YMCA provides a diverse organization of people of all ages joined together by a shared commitment to nurturing the potential of youth, healthy living and fostering a sense of social responsibility. As a Y employee, you’ll be inspired to make a difference each day in a position that matters. With a strong mission and core values, we offer a cause you can participate in.
Build character. Learn new skills. Make friends. Have fun.
For 118 years, that’s what Camp Abnaki has been all about: fostering personal growth and independence in a safe environment on the shores of Lake Champlain in North Hero, VT. Traditionally a boys’ resident camp, Abnaki has grown to include a day camp for boys, as well as a variety of co-ed specialty, vacation, and family camp programs that build healthy, confident, connected and secure children and teens.
If you love to be outside, can lead a group of young males and reside at camp for 9 weeks this summer, then we have the job for you!
Camp Counselors reside at Abnaki for 9 weeks of the summer, working with up to 180 kids per session. In this role, you will support the Village Leader in supervising and leading programs for groups of boys throughout the day with activities such as swimming, archery, boating, hiking, meal time, free-time, meals and lights out and more. Act as a positive role model and guide campers to a positive experience while at camp.
- Supervise and lead campers at all times in the cabin, including leading cabin clean-up, cabin activity, rest hour, cabin chat, and lights out.
- Actively supervise campers throughout the day, including during Free Time or Camper’s Choice periods, Bug Duty, during meals, during cabin report/flagpole, and at any other time campers are present.
- Be a positive role model through your daily actions, and help encourage physical, spiritual, and emotional growth in campers.
- Observe camper and staff behavior, assess its appropriateness, enforce appropriate safety regulations and emergency procedures, and apply appropriate behavior management techniques.
- Maintain a quality program including teaching skill classes, leading evening programs, and assist in the planning & implementation of special programs.
- Encourage and support campers to be responsible for their own health and safety, including good hygiene habits (showering, tooth brushing, etc.), use of sunscreen & bug spray, adequate sleep, healthy eating habits and proper hydration.
- Communicate, supervise and work with assigned ages and skill levels and provide necessary instruction.
- Respond appropriately to aquatic and land based emergencies and situations requiring first aid.
- Live on site in the camp environment for the duration of the season.
- Live in a cabin with a group of 6-10 boys for the duration of their stay.
- Communicate any and all challenges or camper issues to the Village Leader or other appropriate members of the Leadership Team.
- Submit paperwork to Village Leader by the required deadline.
- Manage personal time off in accordance with camp policy.
- Manage behavior of campers, especially with regards to physical, emotional, and verbal abuse or bullying of others.
- Assist campers in keeping track of their belongings, including bringing lost and found to a designated location.
- Maintain a positive relationship with campers, staff, and parents.
- Care for and help to maintain equipment, supplies, facilities, and camp property.
Our Camp Staff receives several days of training prior to the start of camp to ensure the safety, rules, regulations, policies and procedures of camp. The ideal candidate will have camp experience or experience working with children, possess strong leadership skills with the ability to lead an event or program, demonstrated patience and acceptance, compassion and empathy and be CPR/First Aid/AED certified within 30 days of employment.
This seasonal opportunity begins late-June and ends August 18th. Post-season work may be available until the end of October for camp rentals and events.
Send a cover letter and resume to HR@gbymca.org for employment consideration.
The Greater Burlington YMCA is an Equal Opportunity Employer.