FOOD SERVICE DIRECTOR
The Greater Burlington YMCA provides a diverse organization of people of all ages joined together by a shared commitment to nurturing the potential of youth, healthy living and fostering a sense of social responsibility. As a Y employee, you’ll be inspired to make a difference each day in a position that matters. With a strong mission and core values, we offer a cause you can participate in.
Build character. Learn new skills. Make friends. Have fun.
For over 117 years, that’s what Camp Abnaki has been all about: fostering personal growth and independence in a safe environment on the shores of Lake Champlain in North Hero, VT.
Traditionally a boys’ resident camp, Abnaki has grown to include a day camp for boys—as well as a variety of co-ed specialty, vacation, and family camp programs that build healthy, confident, connected and secure children and teens.
Currently, Camp Abnaki is hiring a full-time seasonal Food Service Director to manage the food service program at camp. In this role, you’ll be responsible for all aspects of food service including menu planning, preparation of all meals, nutrition, safety, kitchen maintenance and cleanliness, overseeing kitchen staff, and managing food supply orders.
- Plan and prepare breakfast, lunch and dinner for the camp community
- Manage inventory for food and supplies utilizing budget guidelines.
- Process and order inventory while establishing direct relationships with vendors.
- Ensure food storage is in compliance with the Department of Health.
- Communicate and adhere to planned menus with the ability to improvise if the need arises.
- Provide direct supervision, guidance, coaching, training and evaluation to Kitchen Assistants and to the Counselor-in-Training (CIT) program.
- Oversee the daily cleaning of the kitchen and dining hall ensuring sanitary guidelines are met as established by the Department of Health.
- Coordinate the use of the food service area and kitchen by staff and outside groups.
- Work with vendors to ensure adequate cost of product and equipment, as needed.
- Participate in all staff training and meetings as deemed appropriate by the Camp Director.
- Manage personal time off in accordance with camp policy.
- Provide support for cabin overnights and offsite trips.
Camp Abnaki strives to be socially and environmentally conscious with strong composting and recycling plans in place and a focus on our environment, the earth and its components. This is a powerful opportunity to bring a farm-to-table approach to the camp world, with the opportunity to grow and source food locally and provide nutrition to our campers.
The Food Service Director is expected to reside at camp during the summer season and be available from mid-May to mid-September for camp training and activities. This seasonal cooking position is ideal for a culinary graduate looking to build leadership skills and menu development. Whether it’s farm-to-table or ethnic cuisine, the diversity and flexibility in this role is endless.
Send a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org for employment consideration!
The Greater Burlington YMCA is an Equal Opportunity Employer.