DIRECTOR OF ACCOUNTING
The Greater Burlington YMCA provides a diverse organization of people of all ages joined together by a shared commitment to nurturing the potential of youth, healthy living and fostering a sense of social responsibility. As a Y employee, you’ll be inspired to make a difference each day in a position that matters. With a strong mission and core values, we offer a cause you can participate in.
Join the Y Movement!
We are currently hiring a Director of Accounting to provide analysis in the areas of financial statements, systems, reporting, documentation, database management, and accounting management tools. This position is pivotal in developing the annual budget, forecasting and understanding the financial performance of the organization and assists to carry out strategies to improve performance.
- Oversee the financial, budgeting, accounts payable and payroll functions of the Greater Burlington YMCA to ensure compliance with all state and federal laws.
- Monitor functions and continually strive for more efficient and effective processes to serve these functions.
- Hires, trains and coaches accounting staff.
- Prepare, review and analyze monthly financial statements. Analyze and explain budget variances and identify trends and opportunities to improve the Y’s financial performance. Create monthly financial statement package for CFO and Finance Committee.
- Support operating and capital budget process and ongoing forecasting. Develop and monitor performance metrics. Work closely with program staff to prepare and monitor detailed budgets and progress reports at the program level. Train program staff on budget development.
- Gather financial data for use in the annual audit and support operations in responding to audit recommendations and implementing corrective action.
- Prepare all required schedules for Y tax filings and for the 990. Ensure compliance with all state and federal reporting requirements.
- Coordinate, prepare, manage and oversee the yearly audit. Work closely with the auditor in managing the process and ensuring the Y is compliant.
- Develop, document and revise instructions for accounting and business office procedures.
- Serve as back-up for critical accounting and business office procedures, for example, payroll and submission of childcare subsidy attendance.
- Develop and maintain databases for the Y to use in measuring community impact and to include in grant proposals, the annual report, reports to YUSA and other agencies. Perform querying and data mining information from databases to be used in analytics or information requests.
- Serve as System Administrator for Daxko Operations and Daxko Accounting and maintain a current knowledge of Daxko software capabilities and E-Tapestry; assist with upgrades and enhancements. Communicate enhancements to users. Ensure system security and confidentiality of data.
- Recommend strategic opportunities for the use of Daxko. Provide training to Y staff in the use of the application. Ensure consistency of use and develop procedures for the use of the system. Troubleshoot issues with the system and assist users in problem-solving. Audit the system on a regular basis to ensure all data is clean.
- Other duties, projects or tasks, as assigned.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting or Finance with at least five (5) professional years of experience.
- Certified Professional Accountant (CPA) preferred.
- Demonstrated experience with creating and analyzing financial statements and identifying and monitoring financial benchmarks.
- Experience in preparing and managing yearly audits.
- Experience with developing and managing organizational budgets and strategic plans.
- Provide a level of analytical thinking, strong attention to detail and excellent written and oral communication skills.
- At least three (3) to five (5) years of management experience required.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Excel required.
- Ability to manage and update databases, create and run reports to present various data for the organization.
- Provide strong leadership skills to the accounting team in order for consistency, compliance and development.
Send a cover letter and resume to HR@gbymca.org for employment consideration.
The Greater Burlington YMCA is an Equal Opportunity Employer.