ASSOCIATE DIRECTOR, CAMP ABNAKI
The Greater Burlington YMCA provides a diverse organization of people of all ages joined together by a shared commitment to nurturing the potential of youth, healthy living and fostering a sense of social responsibility. As a Y employee, you’ll be inspired to make a difference each day in a position that matters. With a strong mission and core values, we offer a cause you can participate in.
Build character. Learn new skills. Make friends. Have fun.
Join the Y Movement Today!
Since 1901, that’s what Camp Abnaki has been all about: fostering personal growth and independence in a safe environment on the shores of Lake Champlain in North Hero, VT. Traditionally a boys’ resident camp, Abnaki has grown to include a day camp for boys, as well as a variety of co-ed specialty, vacation, and family camp programs that build healthy, confident, connected and secure children and teens.
Camp Abnaki is currently hiring a full-time, year-round Associate Director to support the leadership of the Camp Director, along with the administrative functions to camp. This position will assist to oversee camp operations in conjunction with camp policies and procedures, as well as oversee a staff during seasonal and non-seasonal periods.
- Evaluate program design and delivery to ensure consistency with the mission and goals of Camp Abnaki and the Greater Burlington Y.
- Ensure programs provide a mixture of activities focusing on skill development, character development, outdoor adventures, recreation, and environmental education where the emphasis is experiential, character building, oriented toward cooperative group work, values-focused and fun.
- Process bi-weekly payroll in coordination with Human Resources.
- Recruit, interview and hire staff in accordance with Y recruiting and hiring procedures.
- Coordinate staff training for pre-season and summer staff. Monitor, evaluate and recognize staff performance throughout the season.
- Provide direct support to select summer leadership staff.
- Act as an integral part in problem solving with staff issues, summer camper discipline and parental concerns.
- Recognize and correct safety hazards; guard the health and safety of all campers and staff. Maintain and enforce all camp safety rules and policies. Ensure that safety equipment is in good order and readily available.
- Ensure all camp programs, practices and property conform to local, state, federal and American Camping Association (ACA) guidelines and any statutory regulations.
- Provide support to the registration process including software management, parent communications and registration reporting.
- Maintain a current awareness of camp issues or concerns.
- Actively participate in the development and execution of website or social media marketing and promotion. Assist in additional marketing plans including but not limited to brochure production, camper newsletter, alumni communications, audio-visual presentations, displays.
- Provide input to the annual budget and help to monitor expenditures to ensure compliance with budgetary guidelines.
- Manage spring/fall rental groups at Camp Abnaki including weddings, corporate or small business meetings and other family programs. Provide guidance and support to ensure contracts and protocols are in place, while fostering relationships for future business.
- Coordinate the design, purchase, inventory, and sale of camp merchandise.
Qualifications and Experience:
- At least 5 years of resident camp leadership position.
- Bachelor Degree in Arts, Education, Recreation, or other related field, required.
- Ability to build, develop and execute programs efficiently and age appropriately.
- Ability to work effectively with youth boys and young men, ages five and up.
- Possess a strong sense of patience and understanding.
- Demonstrate Y Core Values of Caring, Honesty, Respect and Responsibility.
- Develop relationships with camper families to ensure trust to the brand.
- Working knowledge of YMCA, Camp, State and Federal Regulations and Guidelines.
- A positive attitude, required.
- Experience in social media, marketing, website, recruiting and hiring, preferred.
Benefits & Perks
- Free family membership for full-time staff and individual membership for part-time staff, along with discounts on programming, camps, child care and fitness classes.
- Paid time off
- Medical, Vision, and Dental Insurance with funded Health Reimbursement Account
- Company-sponsored Life Insurance
- Short and Long-Term Disability Insurance
- Retirement Savings Plan and Pension Eligibility
- National Training with Y of the USA
- Professional Development with ACA
*COVID-19 Update: This position currently works remote; however, must be located near Burlington, Vermont area and able to reside at Camp Abnaki for at least 5 months.
Send a cover letter and resume to HR@gbymca.org for employment consideration.
The Greater Burlington YMCA is an Equal Opportunity Employer.