Join the Y Movement!
At the Y, we believe the ability to swim is a critical life skill for every child, teen and adult. Our program pool caters to our members, participants and community with swim lessons, free swim and water fitness classes. Our commitment to safety requires a Lifeguard on duty at all times during Y operations.
In this role, you will be responsible for the safety, well-being and enjoyment of the aquatic programs and facility for all participants. The Lifeguard is expected to interact with members and participants to create a friendly atmosphere, while ensuring all swimmers are in control in the swimming area.
- Maintain active surveillance of the pool area.
- Ensure safe atmosphere to prevent injuries or acts of harm with ongoing supervision of the pool, pool deck and surrounding areas.
- Knows and reviews all emergency procedures and now to respond to emergency situations in accordance with YMCA policies and procedures.
- Respond to challenges with possible solutions in a timely manner.
- Remains calm and objective when under pressure or when challenged by others.
- Knows, understands, and consistently applies YMCA Pool Rules, safety regulations, policies and guidelines in the aquatic area.
- Ensure no distraction or interference with the ability to hear or see signs of distress.
- Ensure a safe, clean environment for staff and members.
- Ensure that pool staffing is within YMCA standards before leaving the area or performing other tasks.
- Perform pool maintenance duties in accordance with OSHA Hazardous Materials Precautions and document as needed.
- Administer first aid to patrons using OSHA Bloodborne Pathogens Universal Precautions. Provide immediate care to sustain life until Emergency Medical Service arrives.
- Document and report safety concerns and incidents in accordance with YMCA reporting policies.
- Maintain physical fitness with the ability to perform endurance swims and rescue procedures upon request.
- Consistently provide friendly, courteous assistance, exceeding customers’ expectations every day, which includes building and maintaining healthy professional relationships with parents, children, host agencies, and staff.
- Participate as a part of the aquatics team in providing a safe and positive environment.
- Arrive on time and in accordance with schedule. Demonstrate rescue readiness with proper attire and equipment in accordance with YMCA standards.
- Perform chemical testing when not guarding, as required, and take appropriate action.
- Perform equipment checks and ensure equipment is available as needed.
- Attend staff meetings & in-service trainings, as required.
- Maintain Lifeguard Certification.
- Ensure proper coverage for scheduled shifts when needed.
- Must be at least 16 years of age.
- Valid CPR for the Professional Rescuer certification, standard First Aid and a Lifeguard Certification.
- Demonstrate excellent customer service skills with the ability to problem-solve and communicate clearly and effectively with members and participants.
- Ability to respond to emergencies quickly with common sense judgement.
- Must maintain good health and fitness with the ability to perform endurance testing periodically for training. Ability to swim five-hundred yards any time during employment.
Click here to submit your resume.