COVID-19 and the Y
COVID-19 has shaken the Y community to its core. Revenue all but stopped when all our programs except essential child care closed. Physical distancing scattered members of our community that we were accustomed to welcoming every day. Across Vermont and across the nation, Ys and other nonprofits are struggling to survive.
Yet, at its core, the Y is strong. Guided by our core values — Caring, Honesty, Respect, and Responsibility — we are working toward recovery. We are buoyed by our community’s generous response to a special fund — THE Y STRONG FUND — to support the areas of greatest need in recovery. In the time of COVID, some have donated the equivalent of the membership fees the Y would have drawn during our 2 1/2 months of closure; others have chosen the amount that feels right to them. We are grateful for each and every gift.
“One reason we love being Y members is that we know our membership dollars support a community organization with a mission of service, whether we are using the facility or not. The Y has helped us with reduced rates during some personally trying times.” — A Y Strong Donor
Your support means more now than ever!
Our overnight Camp, closed by the pandemic and rebuilding to come back stronger next year, has created THE ABNAKI STRONG FUND.
The Y Response
The Greater Burlington Y has responded to the COVID-19 pandemic by:
- Throughout this stressful time, providing early child care for our region’s health care professionals so that they can do their crucial work.
- Reopening our brand-new Early Childhood Wing in June with numerous precautions so that parents can get back to work knowing that their children are safe and are in the trustworthy hands of the Y’s caring early childhood professionals.
- Working with local schools to provide staffing for school-age child care for our region’s essential workers.
- Providing a growing library of online workouts and other resources and other resources free for the community.
- Preparing our building and revising our policies so that we were ready to welcome back members in early June and allow them to safely maintain their health and their social bonds.
Other Ways to Support the Y
Donate to other campaigns: People look to the Y to nurture the potential of every child and to improve the health and well-being of a vibrant community. Programs that help children, adults, and families thrive are sometimes financially out of reach for those who need them most. You can help the Y and our Camp Abnaki offer financial assistance and keep down the cost of our programs through a donation to any of the campaigns below.
Donate YOUR way: The Y is here to help you give in whatever way works best for you. Gifts of stock or gifts from Donor Advised Funds are popular ways to give. Many donors also choose to leave a legacy at the Y by making a “planned gift” and joining the Heritage Club.
Everything we do is motivated by our promise to build a healthy, productive, and happy community. But we don’t do it alone. We do it in partnership with you. Click here for a list of our community partners and donors.